Bacon Asparagus Pasta
Get more glycemic “bang for your buck” with this recipe that subs whole wheat penne for regular pasta. Bacon, Parmesan cheese – plus, a super quick prep time (20 min) – make it a weeknight favorite.
- 6 Servings
- 2 min Prep Time
- 20 min Total Time
- Bring a large pot of generously-salted water to boil and cook pasta.
- In a medium sauté pan, add bacon.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add asparagus to the pan and sauté in the bacon grease for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside with the bacon.
- Slowly add the white wine to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon to deglaze the pan, gathering all the bits of bacon.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the wine has reduced by about half.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it. Then add the pasta, asparagus, bacon, and Parmesan cheese to the sauté pan and toss until combined.
- Sprinkle pasta with the remaining Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta, raw
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- ½ lb asparagus, chopped
- 2 tbsp dry white wine