Feta and Spinach Pie with a Chopped Salad
Enjoy our take on classic Spanakopita, a delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of filo dough and a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese served with a refreshing chopped salad.
- 4 Servings
- Prep Time
- Total Time
- Preheat the oven to 410°
- Make the filling by mixing the ricotta and feta cheese, beaten eggs, sundried tomatoes and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Squeeze any excess water from the spinach, chop roughly and add to mix. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease and line an 8x8 square baking tin. Carefully take a sheet of filo dough and drape it across the baking tin pressing it down gently into the tin leaving the edges overlapping the tin. Repeat with the other 2 sheets draping them at a different angle around the tin such that you create a little basket that you can place your filling in.
- Add the filling to the center and then bring the edges roughly over to make the top of the pie.
- Brush the folded over sheets with melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives and mint in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat evenly, and serve with the pie.
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz sundried tomatoes, drained (optional)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups frozen spinach, boiled and well drained (no excess water)
- 3 sheets filo pastry dough
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 ¼ cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ½ cups cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 oz olives
- 1/2 oz bunch mint (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper