Hearty Cottage Pie
Indulge with this classic comfort food! It’s a go-to meal when you have a crowd to feed and please. Packed with veggies and full of flavor, we’ve used extra lean beef to keep the calories in check – gorgeous home cooking at its best.
- 4 Servings
- Prep Time
- Total Time
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large saucepan, add the potatoes and parsnips. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and add the nutmeg, half the cheese and mash well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a non-stick frying pan and fry gently on medium heat, for a few minutes before adding the beef.
- Brown the meat gently and when browned add the carrot, celery, zucchini and sweat gently for approximately 10 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the thyme, Worcestershire sauce and the diced tomatoes. Stir well and add the prepared beef stock. Simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and then add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Add the beef to a large ovenproof dish and then gently dollop the potatoes and parsnip on top. Smooth over with a fork.
- Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. You may want to finish in the broiler but make sure you keep your eye on the time to avoid burning!
- Blanch the beans for a few minutes in a medium pot of boiling water. Drain and serve with the cottage pie.
- 1 ¼ lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 ½ oz fat-free cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb 95% extra lean ground beef
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped into cubes
- 5 medium stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 beef stock cubes, dissolved in ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- ½ lb green beans
- salt and pepper to taste