Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
A savory star for your weeknight dinner line-up, this prosciutto-and-provolone stuffed chicken features a mushroom sauce that’ll please even the most discerning critics.
Enjoy for a delicious lunch or dinner as part of the standard SlimFast Plan or if you’re following SlimFast Keto!
- 4 Servings
- 10 min Prep Time
- 40 min Total Time
- Halve chicken breasts horizontally, keeping 1 long side attached; open halves like a book. Pound breasts until 1/4-inch thick.
- Season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 chicken breast on a work surface, cut side up.
- Overlap 2 slices prosciutto on top of chicken, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top prosciutto with 2 slices provolone; layer 8 basil leaves over cheese, maintaining 1/2-inch border.
- Roll up chicken lengthwise and tie with kitchen twine. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy ovenproof skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until a thermometer inserted into center of chicken registers 165°, 7-8 minutes. (The chicken will be cooked through but still juicy.)
- Transfer chicken to plates and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Scrape drippings and any melted cheese from skillet; discard.
- Set skillet over medium-high heat and melt remaining tablespoon butter. Add mushrooms. Cook, turning once, until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; add broth and vinegar. Simmer until liquid is thickened and reduced, 10-12 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and herbs; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off and discard twine.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch slices.
- Drizzle mushroom sauce over and enjoy!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 6 thin slices prosciutto
- 4 thin slices provolone cheese
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp mixed chopped herbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter