Sunshine in a bowl! This super simple tomato sauce is great to make ahead of time and have as a standby in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy it served over your favorite vegetables such as zucchini and bell pepper, and whole wheat pasta for a delicious summer dish.
- 4 Servings
- Prep Time
- Total Time
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat and add the garlic, onions, peppers, and zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock cube and ¾ cup boiling water.
- Bring to a boil and stir to make sure the stock cube is dissolved thoroughly. Simmer gently with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box.
- Drain the pasta and run through with cool water to stop the cooking process.
- Add drained pasta to a serving bowl with the sauce, sprinkle with cheese, garnish with basil and serve.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 ½ large zucchinis, chopped
- 2-14 ½ oz can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- ¾ cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, whole (optional)