One Pot Sausage, Kale, and Sweet Potato Pasta
This comfort food recipe makes it easy to have pasta in moderation. It’s appropriately portioned and features flavors of chicken sausage, sweet potatoes, and baby kale.
- 4 Servings
- Prep Time
- Total Time
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil. Add sausage and heat until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add onion; heat until onion is softened and translucent.
- Add sweet potato and garlic; heat until potato is tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add pasta, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes to pan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until pasta is al dente and liquid has almost evaporated.
- In batches, stir in kale until wilted.
- Stir in sausage and heat through. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken sausage
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4 lb whole grain penne pasta, cooked
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 14 oz no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp no-salt added tomato paste
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 oz baby kale
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated