It is that time of the day when your fasting window has come to an end and it’s time to eat! While the urge to indulge may be dominating your thoughts (and your appetite), it’s best to have a plan for when you transition out of your fasting window. SlimFast Plan Consultant and Registered Dietitian, Maryann Walsh, shares her favorite recipes and tips to transition with ease!
One of the wonderful things about the SlimFast Plan is that meal planning is essentially done for you which takes the guesswork out of what to eat during your eating window. While all foods can break a fast, it is a generally accepted idea that incorporating balanced meals (fat, protein, and carbs/ fiber) are your best bet when it comes to kicking off your eating window for the day1,2. Below are some ideas to help you get started!
*Remember, always discuss with your doctor before trying intermittent fasting, especially if you have any medical conditions or are on any medications.
Delicious meals in the form of shakes or smoothies:
Smoothies or shakes are a great, convenient option.
- SlimFast Ready to Drink Meal Replacement Shakes contain 24 essential vitamins and minerals as well as protein, fat, and fiber, providing a balanced meal. Additionally, they are perfectly portioned to prevent overeating after a fast!
- Smoothies made with SlimFast Shake Mix powders also provide the benefits of 24 vitamins and minerals and allow you to get creative with your favorite flavors! By adding in nourishing foods like fruits, nut butters, or yogurt you can create your own delicious meal which in turn may be a better option for many after breaking a fast. However, don’t forget to count those extra ingredients as snacks.
- Need some smoothie inspiration? Check out the SlimFast.com recipe page for delicious smoothie recipes!
Convenient, on the go meals
Depending on your lifestyle and sleeping habits, your fasting window may end early in the morning or closer to the afternoon, so it’s important to consider if you will be able to take a break to eat when your desired fasting window ends as well as what foods will be accessible to you at that time. If you are someone who is always on the go then you may want to consider a portable meal option to break your fast. SlimFast Meal Replacement bars are a great option in this instance due to a variety of reasons!
- First off, SlimFast Meal Replacement bars, like the shakes and smoothies, contain 24 vitamins and minerals and protein, fat, and fiber so you can rest assured that you are effectively nourishing yourself after your fast.
- There are a variety of SlimFast meal replacement bars to suit your needs and taste preferences so you can mix it up from day to day to have more variety.
- SlimFast meal replacement bars can easily be taken with you in your purse, pocket, or backpack and don’t require refrigeration, so can always be readily available when breaking your fast or at any time during your eating window.
Hearty Meals to Break a Fast
Like all dietary approaches, for those who are following an intermittent fasting regimen, it’s important to find a routine that works best for you and your body. Some may find that a lighter meal works best for them after ending a fast, while others may feel that a heartier meal is more appropriate to suit their needs when breaking a fast. There is no right or wrong way to build a post-fast meal, but here are a few popular options to consider:
- If you are following a ketogenic diet along with intermittent fasting, then you may be drawn to a higher fat meal to break your fast. This Avocado Egg in a Hole recipe combines healthy fats from avocados along with 24g of protein to fuel you up and nourish you for your busy day.
- Similar to smoothies, shakes, and the overall concept of foods that may be considered more gentle on the digestive system, soups can be a satisfying way to fuel up after a fast. This recipe for Escarole and White Bean Soup has 35g of protein and 18g of fiber from the veggies and white beans, it is sure to serve as a satisfying lunch if you are someone who breaks your fast in the afternoon.
- The perfect combination of light and nourishing, this Salmon Nicoise Salad is jam-packed with veggies and brain-loving omega-3s while also providing 39g of satiating protein, another great meal option when breaking a fast!
As you can see, there are a variety of food options you can enjoy when it comes to breaking a fast. In addition to finding the fasting regimen that works best for you, you may need to experiment a bit in finding which meals and snacks help you feel your best each day during your eating window. Not sure where to even begin when it comes to trying intermittent fasting? Check out this blog post that talks about how each of the different SlimFast Plans can work with intermittent fasting here. Also, don’t forget to join one of the SlimFast Together Private Facebook groups for support and encouragement on your weight loss or weight management journey!
A consultant of the SlimFast Plan, Maryann is a Registered Dietitian with Bachelor of Science degrees in Biological Sciences and Dietetics and a Master of Food and Nutrition. She has extensive experience working with clients of all ages and from all walks of life, helping them to achieve their wellness and weight-loss goals. Learn more about Maryann.