A lighter version of traditional eggplant Parmesan keeps all the rich gooeyness while maintaining the flavors of the classic dish. Our dish is baked instead of fried, and we add portobello mushrooms and chickpeas for added protein so you can indulge without worry.
- 4 Servings
- 25 min Prep Time
- 85 min Total Time
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush 2 baking sheets with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Arrange eggplant on baking sheets. Brush with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Bake 20 minutes or until golden and tender; set aside.
- Meanwhile, process chickpeas in food processor until smooth; set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms, pepper, and onion, stirring occasionally, 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cottage cheese, beans, egg, and garlic in medium bowl; set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato & basil pasta sauce in 11×8-inch glass baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Arrange 3 slices eggplant on pasta sauce, then spread with 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture. Arrange half the lasagna noodles on top. Top with 1/2 of the vegetable mixture, then 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 3 slices eggplant, remaining cottage cheese mixture, remaining noodles, remaining vegetable mixture, then remaining eggplant. Evenly top with remaining sauce.
- Bake 40 minutes or until bubbling and heated through.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise into 9 slices
- 1 cup reduced sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large, portobello mushrooms, gills removed, halved and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (16 oz container) 1% cottage cheese, no salt added, drained on paper towels
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups tomato & basil pasta sauce
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese