The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, but they present many temptations for dieters like myself. I didn’t want to undo all my amazing weight loss results for one day. The truth is: I’m going to attend holiday parties this season that will present some diet challenges. Armed with simple tips and tricks for the holidays, I’ll be able to celebrate and then get back to The SlimFast Plan.
The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year; but let’s not downplay the difficult aspect of it all. When it comes to holiday parties, there are a treasure trove of temptations available. From appetizers to roasted ham and mashed potatoes, to pies and sprinkle cookies to tins overflowing with popcorn, just one bite could snowball if I let it. Like most of you, I am feeling a little lost and overwhelmed this holiday season. But, I’ve decided I am not going to let this time of festive cheer derail my hard work and success. I’ve learned how to enjoy eating in moderation. I trust myself to enjoy the holidays, and the food, without going overboard. On my SlimFast journey I’ve learned a few things. The first step this holiday season is to be prepared. Doing so will help you stay on track and avoid the holiday weight gain. Here are some of my tips to help you — and me — stay in control and on plan this holiday season.
1. Let’s be realistic, we are going to eat. But what we eat and how much we eat, we control. Don’t set unrealistic expectations. You don’t want to be disappointed or hard on yourself because that typically leads to more overeating and the mentality of, “I’ve already cheated, so why stop now?”
2. When cooking, avoid taste-testing. Chew on a piece of gum or have people in the kitchen with you to take your mind off the food.
3. Going to someone’s house? Be sure to have a SlimFast smoothie or shake before you go to help curb temptation and control cravings. Also, bring a healthy appetizer like a veggie tray or a healthy side dish that you can enjoy, too. This year I am bringing a sweet potato casserole to my family celebration.
4. Make the SlimFast Plan work for you! Skipping appetizers or snacks will give you some wiggle room for extra calories in the meal. I mean, I LOVE pigs in a blanket, but extra mac-and-cheese is a treat, too!
5. Follow the One Plate Rule. And try to fill a good portion of the plate with fruits and vegetables.
6. Keep your exercise goals during the holidays by staying on your schedule. There’s a great walking trail by my parents’ house. I’m definitely going to take advantage of that.
7. Hydrate. Drink water throughout the day. And if you splurge with a cocktail or two, be sure to drink at least one glass of water in between. And drink water during and after the meal to help with digestion.
8. Remember… The holidays are just one day.
9. Don’t make being active a chore. When you do an activity you enjoy and have fun with, you are more likely to stick to it. And during the holidays, the whole family can participate, maybe a bike ride or a game of tag!
10. Leave the leftovers behind. Start fresh the next day. The Plan Works! But it won’t if you’re constantly cheating. Go to the parties, enjoy the festivities and life. But know your limits. Know your success is around the corner and it can be achieved if you stay on track.
Cheers and Happy Holidays!
*Individual results may vary. Based on the SlimFast Plan (a reduced-calorie diet, regular exercise, and plenty of fluids). Check with your doctor if nursing, pregnant, under 18, or following a doctor prescribed diet.